A fun recipe from an old Sunset Chinese Cooking Book. It's easy to make and allows you to create your own fortunes!
- Write 3 fortunes on 1" x 3" pieces of paper.
- You can use wise or funny sayings, puns -- personalized for the intended recipients.
- Place fortunes and 2 pot holders near the oven so they'll be handy when needed.
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar and salt.
- Blend in the vegetable oil.
- Add the egg whites, water and vanilla.
- Stir until smooth.
- Bake cookies 1 at a time. (IMPORTANT).
- Drop 1/3 cup of batter on a greased cookie sheet.
- Spread evenly into a 10" circle.
- Bake in oven until cookie turns a light golden brown (about 13 to 15 minutes).
- Immediately place a fortune in the centre of the hot, pliable cookie.
- Using the pot holders to protect your hands, bring two opposite ends of the cookie together, grasp the ends of the folded cookie and gently pull together to crease.
- Hold the folded cookie for 1 minute to maintain its shape as it cools and becomes crisp.
- Please Note: The oven temperature is extremely important. If the temperature raises above 300 F, the edges of the cookie will become overly brown and will crack when you try to fold it.
- When the cookies have cooled completely, store in an airtight container.
My son and I loved this recipe! First, the name is quite exciting for a 6 year old. Second, the size was quite amazing! What fun! We are on our second batch and are making more to share for Chinese New Year. The only things I changed: almond extract instead of vanillia, 1/2 t more water on second batch, and I baked them on parchment paper. The parchment paper helped with the forming of the cookie. Thanks for a wonderful and fun recipe!
These were fun, easy, and yummy to make! I even dipped one side in chocolate and sprinkled on some fun sprinkles, too. The kids are getting them in their lunchbox for tomorrow and have no clue. They will be so surprised! Make sure to have a greased cookie sheet as stated. Thanks for the great recipe, Dreamer in Ontario!
Had a bushel of company this past weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun) & decided to make this recipe tripled, with very personalized fortunes inside each cookie ~ WHAT A HOOT! WHAT A GREAT IDEA! WHAT TASTY COOKIES! Will definitely be doing these again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for a teammate in our vegetarian group in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap II]