1/1 Photo of Double Chocolate Layer Cake
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe came from Gourmet magazine, and was posted in reply to a message board request. Callebaut semisweet chocolate for the cake and Guittard French-vanilla chocolate for the frosting, but any fine-quality semisweet chocolate will produce a wonderful result in either. Use 2 10-inch x 2-inch round cake pans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For cake layers
- 3 ounces fine-quality semisweet chocolate, such as callebaut
- 1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
For ganache frosting
- 1Make cake layers: Preheat oven to 300°F and grease pans.
- 2Line bottoms with rounds of wax paper and grease paper.
- 3Finely chop chocolate and in a bowl combine with hot coffee.
- 4Let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- 5Into a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- 6In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly and lemon colored (about 3 minutes with a standing mixer or 5 minutes with a hand-held mixer).
- 7Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate mixture to eggs, beating until combined well.
- 8Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
- 9Divide batter between pans and bake in middle of oven until a tester inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 10Cool layers completely in pans on racks.
- 11Run a thin knife around edges of pans and invert layers onto racks.
- 12Carefully remove waxed paper.
- 13Cake layers may be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped well in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- 14Make frosting: Finely chop chocolate.
- 15In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan bring cream, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over moderately low heat, whisking until sugar is dissolved.
- 16Remove pan from heat and add chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted.
- 17Cut butter into pieces and add to frosting, whisking until smooth.
- 18Transfer frosting to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally, until spreadable (depending on chocolate used, it may be necessary to chill frosting to spreadable consistency).
- 19Spread frosting between cake layers and over top and sides.
- 20Cake keeps, covered and chilled, 3 days.
- 21Bring cake to room temperature before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 811.1
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 549.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.7 g
- Sugars 55.2 g
- Protein 13.6 g