1/1 Photo of Donita's Caramel Brownies
Donita was a friend I met while living in Kentucky. She used to bring these brownies to potlucks and kindly shared the recipe with me. I have made my own changes over the years, but it is still basically the same recipe she used. You can add 1 cup chopped nuts if you like, however I feel these are rich enough without them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix, unprepared (or a box of brownie mix, see notes)
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided (I have used both regular and light)
- 1 (14 ounce) bag Kraft caramels (48 squares) or 1 (14 ounce) bag chocolate riesen candies, unwrapped
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 375 F and line a 9x13" baking pan with foil. Grease the foil lightly.
- 2Mix together the dry cake mix, melted butter, and just 1/3 cup of the evaporated milk.
- 3Spread half of this mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 6 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, melt the unwrapped candies with the remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk in the microwave (time will adjust based on your wattage, about 3 minutes).
- 5When the first layer is done pre-baking, remove from the oven and cover with chocolate chips (and nuts if you are adding any).
- 6Pour the melted caramel mixture all over the top.
- 7Spoon the remaining raw batter in blobs all over the top and bake another 15-18 minutes.
- 8Allow too cool, then lift out of the pan and cut with a large knife, using a rocking motion - they are very gooey and if you try to cut them too soon it will be very messy.
- 9NOTE: If using brownie mix instead of cake mix, then skip the melted butter and the first 1/3 cup of evaporated milk and simply prepare the batter according to the brownie package instructions. Pour half the mixture into the pan, and then continue with the rest of the recipe as directed. You may also need to adjust the time for the brownies, a little longer until it is bubbling up. Keep these brownies in the fridge to firm up.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Donita's Caramel Brownies
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.8
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.9 mg
- Sodium 382.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 58.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g