Legal cookies that taste good! I enjoy making biscotti and lemon is one of my favorite things so this is a double winner in my book. It says that it will make 36 but I can't seem to get that many. *EDIT*, I have changed the yield to a more realistic 25. *wink*
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or in a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar substitute, and baking powder. Add the margarine and pulse until mixture forms fine crumbs (if working in a bowl, cut in margarine with a pastry blender or two knives).
- Add egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Pulse until mixture forms a dough around the blade (mixing in a bowl, stir until moistened and gathers into dough).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Knead 2 or 3 times, adding additional flour if needed (dough should be sticky).
- Form dough into a log about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter, transfer log to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet, set on a rack for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 275°F (135°C).
- With a sharp knife, cut the log diagonally into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) slices then cut each slice in half.
- Arrange the half slices, standing upright on the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer biscotti to wire racks to cool. Once cool, store in airtight containers until ready to serve.