Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of my favorite cake recipes...I usually bake a different cake recipe every week, so I have collected a lot of great cake recipes over the years....this one comes from "The all New Blue Ribbon" cookbook featuring prize winning recipes from America's state fairs...I think you will love this one....enjoy!
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 2 (8-in) round cake pans (cake can also be baked in a 13x9-in pan).
- Prepare streusel mix; set aside.
- In a med bowl, beat together the shortening and sugar until creamy.
- Beat in eggs, bananas and vanilla; fold in sour cream.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold into creamed mixture, stirring only enough to blend (don't overbeat).
- In baking pans, sprinkle 1/3 of the streusel mix on the bottom.
- Carefully spread 1/2 of cake batter on top of the streusel.
- Sprinkle with another 1/3 of the streusel mix.
- Spread the remaining cake batter over top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining streusel mix on top.
- Bake for 40 mins, or until cakes test done.
- Cool 10 mins before removing out onto serving plates.
- Serve warm, or at room temp.
Absolutely WONDERFUL! The cake got great reviews and requests for the recipe at the gathering I brought it to. I liked how it could be made in two smaller pans or one larger one - that was very convenient. Thanks, Kit! Tagged for 1-2-3 Hits.
This cake was delish! I thought it was even better the second day. Made as directed except the only nuts I had were cashews(BOO!) so that's what I had to use. This texture of the cake was light & fluffy. Will assuredly make again. Thanks, Kitten.
Absolutely DELICIOUS! I love the triple layers of streusel mixture, gives it a very nice crunch! I made one cake in a 9x13" pan and for the streusel topping I used almonds for nuts and I also added in 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut. Very moist cake and not too sweet. I had it with vanilla ice cream.. YUM! Thank you, Kittencal, for sharing another one of your fabulous recipes, this one is also a keeper! :)