Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
i haven't tried this yet but the cheese and date combo intrigues me
Make and share this date nut loaf recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- pour boiling water over dates and butter, let it stand until cool.
- preheat oven to 325.
- mix the dry ingredients together, add the date mixture, egg, cheese and walnuts, mix until blended, by hand scrape into a greased loaf pan, let it sit 20 minutes.
- bake 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted to center comes out dry.
- turn out to rack to cool serve with butter.
This is very moist and tender. Just the right sweetness, cheese is not to over-powering. Very good all around bread.
Very good date bread! Not cheesy tasting at all, just moist, and nice crust on the outside. It's a very thick batter, so don't think you've forgotten to add something. And mine took a little over an hour to cook. I ended up turning the oven up to 350° for the last 5 minutes--for some reason, it didn't want to finish up cooking, lol. Served on our Thanksgiving table with cream cheese, of course. Everyone loved it! Thanks chia!
I made 1.25 times the recipe (with 2 eggs) because my Pyrex loaf pan is HUGE ~ I LOVED THIS! The bread is very good! I like the slices with cream cheese for breakfast. I over-baked mine a little because it kept testing not done using a toothpick! I think I was actually sticking the toothpick into a date each time ~ LOL ~ Made for Spring PAC 2009 ~ Thanks chia!