In these, the dates are mixed right into the batter.
Make and share this Date Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely broken walnut meats
- 3 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, cut into small pieces
- icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Butter and line with parchment a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Beat butter in medium bowl.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until combined (mixture will appear grainy).
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Add to butter mixture and stir until just blended.
- Mix dates and walnuts gently into batter.
- Transfer batter to pan; smooth top.
- Bake until top is brown and tester comes out clean (with a few moist crumbs attached), about 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Run knife around edge of pan to loosen.
- Reverse carefully onto cookie sheet.
- Peel off parchment.
- Invert again.
- Cool. Cut into bars.
- Sift icing sugar over.