Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from the Cake Mix Doctor's Chocolate book. Dark, rich, and no-fail since it starts with a mix.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix with pudding
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x13" cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the cake mix, sour cream, water, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increasing the mixer speed to medium, mix for 2 more minutes, until the batter is well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 38 minutes. It's done when it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger. It might need up to 4 more minutes, depending on your oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool, in the pan, on a wire rack.
- Frost with desired frosting.
excellent sheet cake! I made this as directed then I frosted with vanilla buttercream . I used my kitcheniad for everything. I baked this for 35 minutes. Superb recipe-will make again. THANKS appledappy
OH What a cake. I used rewgular chocolate frosting, and it was enjoyed. Fluffy, flavorful and tasty. I baked mine for 40 minutes instead of 38. Turned out well. Served with vanilla ice cream. Made for Potluck tag.