3 hrs 25 mins
Danish pastry is a sweet pastry which has become a speciality of Denmark and is popular throughout much of the world. The danish as consumed in Denmark can be topped with chocolate, sugar or icing, and may be stuffed with either jam, marzipan or custard. Shapes are numerous, including circles with filling in the middle (known as "spandauers"), figure-eights, spirals, and the pretzel-like kringles. From the Minnesota Scandinavian chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve sugar in milk and add yeast.
- 2Sift flour and salt together; rub in 6 tablespoons of butter and mix to a dough with the eggs and yeast mixture.
- 3Knead five minutes and roll into a rectangular sheet about twice as long as it is wide.
- 4Cut about half the additional butter into small lumps about the size of peas over 2/3 of the dough.
- 5Fold the part of the dough that does not have butter on it over half the butter-covered portion; then fold the other third over the first two layers, so that you now have 3 thicknesses of dough (something like an envelope).
- 6Press down the edges all the way around and roll out fairly thinly.
- 7Repeat the process of cutting the remaining butter on 2/3 of the dough, folding to 3 thicknesses and rolling out.
- 8It may be necessary to repeat once again to get all the butter incorporated.
- 9Cover with a cloth and set aside at room temperature for 1/2 hour, then roll out and shape as desired.
- 10let rise until light, but not quite doubled in bulk as it will continue to rise in the oven.
- 11Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 25 minutes, depending on the size of the rolls.
- 12Pastry shapes: Roll dough 1/2" thick, cut into strips 1/2" wide by 8" long. Twist strips and form into rings or figure-8's.
- 13Triangles: Roll dough 1/2" thick, cut into squares. Spread with almond paste, fold over the corners into an envelope and press down the edges. When baked, spread with frosting.
- 14Pinwheels: Roll dough 1/2" thick, cut into 4" squares and cut dough from each corner almost to the center. Fold each alternate point to the center, pressing down firmly.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danska Wienerbröd - Danish Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (2170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7518.5
- Calories from Fat 3496
- Total Fat 388.5 g
- Saturated Fat 236.0 g
- Cholesterol 1618.0 mg
- Sodium 5256.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 859.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 29.7 g
- Sugars 70.6 g
- Protein 144.6 g