2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Benthe (Danish)'s Note:
Danes, Germans and other northern Europeans can not imagine living without dark rye bread, After moving to the States in 1988, it took me about 4 months of trying my Danish recipes, adjusting for high altitudes and ingredients available before I finally found one that worked. I made this every week till the kids left home. This is a very tough, sticky dough, it can be made by hand, but a stand mixer definitely makes it easier.
My Private Note
1.75l l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour the boiling water into a very large bowl.
- 2Add bulgur, let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3Add the cold beer, yeast, buttermilk, gravy color or cocoa and salt.
- 4It is important to keep the machine on low for 5 minutes, keep scraping the sides and the dough hook while you add.
- 5Rye flour, whole wheat flour and all purpose flour.
- 6Fill loaf forms ¾ of the way.
- 7Cover with a wet dishtowel and let rise for 1 hour.
- 8Dip a fork in a glass of water and prick the whole surface of the loafs.
- 9Let rise for another hour
- 10Bake on the middle rack 1 hour at 400 F (200 C).
- 11Remove baked loafs from oven, and turn over into separate dishtowels, turn right side up.
- 12Brush top of bread with melted butter and wrap in dishtowel.
- 13Place on baking rack on the counter to cool completely.
- 14To freeze: Let cool till hand warm, place in double Freezer bags, and wait till completely cool to place in freezer.
- 15To defrost, place on kitchen counter in a dishtowel, remove plastic bag, till defrosted, can be stored in the fridge 6-8 days in a plastic bag.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Danish Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.6
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 364.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
liquid gravy browner