My mother gave me this recipe over 25 years ago. I thought I had better post it before I lose the worn out piece of paper it's written on.
- In one bowl cream butter, lard, and sugar.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl add sifted flour and other dry ingredients.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
- Roll into small ball, and flatten with a fork on a ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 F for 10- 15 minute.
Emm so wish you could smell them. What a nice surprise for kids to come home to smelling them coming right out of the oven. Excellent recipe.
I have this same recipe but had forgotten just how delicious these cookies are. They're buttery crisp on the outside with a slight toothsome chew to the inside. They're not too sweet. You can add a bit of cinnamon and allspice if you prefer a spicier cookie. I used unsweetened dessicated coconut which is very fine so you hardly know it's there. Pressed some of the balls to 1/2" thickness with a fork (baked 13 minutes), and some 1/4" thick with the bottom of a glass (baked 12 minutes). The ones pressed with a glass are slightly thinner and more crisp. Made a half recipe - yield was 18 cookies.