Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my favorite pound cake. This recipe came out of a book called, Bell's Best. A friend in Augusta, Georgia gave me this cookbook. This makes a good cake for strawberry shortcake.
- Sift flour and measure; resift twice with soda.
- Set aside.
- Cream oleo and add the sugar slowly, beating constantly to cream well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Add flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well.
- Stir in vanilla and turn batter into a well greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in 325°F oven about 1 1/2 hours.
- Place pan on rack to cool 5 minutes.
- Loosen cake around edge of pan.
- Turn cake onto rack to cool completely.
Excellent pound cake. I love the crunchy topping. This is the best pound cake I've made and so easy to mix up too. I did use butter instead of the oleo and I used cake flour and sifted once. I couldn't resist and had a piece before bed last night. It was still hot and sooo good. A cooled piece this morning -- just as good!
This is the very best pound cake I have had, and I have made many as I do like them. It had a beautiful, silky grain to it and a nice crust. It rose almost to the top of the pan. I was amazed and it made the house smell soooo good. My husband and I couldn't wait to put the strawberries on it and top it with whipped cream. Yummy!!! In the morning, I cut two slices and lightly toasted them for breakfast. Wow! was that good. I like sweet things in the morning anyway as I don't usually eat the "traditional" breakfast food. This hit the spot. I will make this again and again. I had to use butter though, as I don't have oleo--but the cake was great. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
I baked this cake yesterday for one of my friends to take to her office & have gotten nothing but super responses! Everyone absolutely loved it! It is a beautiful cake along with such a delicious flavor. It has now offically replaced my old and true recipe that I have had for years. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.