Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a yummie alternative to an old favorite. The topping is sweet and the apples are a little tart. I posted this with a ready-to-bake pie crust, but I have found a homemade crust is always better! There are tons of apples in this pie but they cook down during baking. This is delicious topped with vanillia ice cream.
- 1 refrigerated ready-to-bake pie crust
Crunchy Crumb Topping
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 7 large granny smith apples or 7 large pippin apples or 7 large greenings apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Have Ready a 9-in.
- pie plate and a baking sheet.
- Place oven rack in lowest position in oven.
- Heat oven to 450.
- Line pie plate with pie crust as package directs.
- Flute or crimp edge.
- TOPPING: Mix flour, sugars and cinnamon in medium bowl.
- Cut in butter (or rub in with fingertips) until mixture forms moist, coarse crumbs that clump together easily.
- FILLING: Peel, halve and core apples.
- Cut in 1/8 inch-thick slices (or with a slicing disk of a food processor).
- Place in a large bowl, add lemon juice and toss to coat.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl, sprinkle over appl slices and toss to coat.
- Layer apple slices in pie shell, mounding them higher in center.
- Pat topping evenly over apples to form a top crust.
- Place pie on the baking sheet to catch any drips.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temp to 350 and bake 45 minutes longer or until a skewer meets some resistance when center of pie is pierced (apples will continue cooking after pie is removed from oven) and topping is golden brown.
- (If topping browns too quickly, drape a piece of foil loosely over the pie).
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
I used to make apple crumb pie every holiday until I lost my recipe. This one looked very similar to what I remembered so I gave it a try and I must say it was better than the original! Make it exactly as written and you won't go wrong
I made this recipe on 3/28/10 as a " Special Splurge " for myself and my SO. And I do agree with you about a homemade crust, so half of Shake-A-Pie Crust was used. Except for the crust this recipe was made as written. And as Kitsune mentioned, " a little too juicy ", so if this is made again some more flour will be added to the filling. But other than that this was a very good crumb pie, not too sweet and very nice texture. Thank you for posting and, " Keep Smiling :) "
Delicious! My husband adores apple pie and said this was the best one yet. The filling ended up being a little too juicy, I'm not sure if it was the type of apple I used or what but next time I'm going to add little more flour to the apple mix.