Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Not a cake but a large stack of crepes, this dessert is delicious but not overly sweet. The crepes are mildly chocolate-flavored, but the majority of the flavor comes from the glaze.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (approximate)
- cooking spray
- Combine all crepe ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Allow batter to rest in the refrigerator at least half an hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in water. (If you don't dissolve the espresso powder, the glaze will be grainy).
- In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate over medium-low heat.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- Heat until just boiling, then remove from heat and scrape glaze into a bowl. Refrigerate until batter has finished resting.
- Bring an 8" non-stick pan to medium heat (allow about 3 minutes for heat-up time).
- Spray pan with cooking spray. Pour in a few tablespoons of batter and quickly tilt the pan so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan in a very thin layer.
- Cook crepe until edges barely start to peel away from pan.
- Gently slide a long metal offset spatula under the crepe and flip it over.
- Cook crepe just another minute and slide onto a plate.
- Spread crepe with a thin layer of glaze.
- Cook another crepe, stack on top of the first, and spread with a bit of butter.
- Cook another crepe, add to the stack, and sprinkle with powdered sugar using a sifter or strainer.
- Repeat this sequence until batter runs out, leaving top crepe bare.
- Spread remaining glaze over top crepe and allow it to drip down the sides.
- Slice with a sharp knife and serve. The cake will keep in the refrigerator for at least a day.
I am not a big fan of Espresso flavour in sweets. But I really liked this one. Thanks
Chocolate lovers you ABSOLUTELY have to try this delicious cake. Made it for a family reunion, and everyone went crazy over it. I topped mine with whipped cream. Takes a bit a time to make the crepes bu SO worth it. Thanks for this stunning desert!