1/1 Photo of Crepe Cake With Espresso Chocolate Glaze
Hannah Verrinder's Note:
Not a cake but a large stack of crepes, this dessert is delicious but not overly sweet. The crepes are mildly chocolate-flavored, but the majority of the flavor comes from the glaze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1Combine all crepe ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- 2Allow batter to rest in the refrigerator at least half an hour.
- 3In a small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in water. (If you don't dissolve the espresso powder, the glaze will be grainy).
- 4In a medium saucepan, melt chocolate over medium-low heat.
- 5Add remaining ingredients and whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- 6Heat until just boiling, then remove from heat and scrape glaze into a bowl. Refrigerate until batter has finished resting.
- 7Bring an 8" non-stick pan to medium heat (allow about 3 minutes for heat-up time).
- 8Spray pan with cooking spray. Pour in a few tablespoons of batter and quickly tilt the pan so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan in a very thin layer.
- 9Cook crepe until edges barely start to peel away from pan.
- 10Gently slide a long metal offset spatula under the crepe and flip it over.
- 11Cook crepe just another minute and slide onto a plate.
- 12Spread crepe with a thin layer of glaze.
- 13Cook another crepe, stack on top of the first, and spread with a bit of butter.
- 14Cook another crepe, add to the stack, and sprinkle with powdered sugar using a sifter or strainer.
- 15Repeat this sequence until batter runs out, leaving top crepe bare.
- 16Spread remaining glaze over top crepe and allow it to drip down the sides.
- 17Slice with a sharp knife and serve. The cake will keep in the refrigerator for at least a day.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crepe Cake With Espresso Chocolate Glaze
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 696.8
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 168.5 mg
- Sodium 505.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 45.3 g
- Protein 15.3 g