Prep 10 mins
Cook 43 mins
These tasty lemony nuggets were found at Kraft Foods, & although there are boxed lemon bar mixes out there, the homemade kind, well.... Preparation time DOES NOT INCLUDE the 2+ hours to chill in the refrigerator.
FOR THE CRUST
- 20 reduced-fat vanilla wafers, finely crushed
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cold
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 (8 ounce) package neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest, minced
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & line 8" square baking dish with foil, with ends of foil extending over sides of pan [to be used as handles to lift out baked & cooled pastry].
- FOR THE CRUST: In medium bowl, combine wafer crumbs, 1/2 cup flour & brown sugar.
- Cut in butter/margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press firmly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- FOR THE FILLING: Meanwhile, in medium bowl, with electric mixer on medium speed, beat cheese & sugar until well blended.
- Add eggs & 2 tablespoons flour, mixing well.
- Blend in 1 tablespoon lemon zest, lemon juice & baking powder.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake 25-28 minutes or until center is set.
- Cool completely, then cover & refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or garnish with remaining lemon zest.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.
Perfect! This will be my go to lemon bar recipe. The texture is creamy as the recipe says. I like that much better than the jelly like bars I've had in the past.
These came out wonderful with a light fluffy lemon filling, I used the juice of the whole lemon so this has really intense lemon flavor, thanks for sharing Syd!
Wonderfully lemony and very moreish! I really appreciated the very clear instructions too. I'll be making some more of these for over the Christmas break. YUM! I used granita biscuits for the crust - probably the most popular biscuit here for using in bases to cheesecakes and similar recipes, and I used butter, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Made for the Everyday is a Holiday tag game.