1 hr 5 mins
I've been looking for a great cream puff recipe, and this recipe is that!! I experimented with a couple recipes I found other places and this is the best I made. These are very good! Don't be nervous about all the steps, this is really pretty simple. If you like Cool Whip cream puffs, you can fill the puffs with Cool Whip instead of the custard. Note: the time doesn't account for the oven cooling time, but that is optional. The yield will vary depending on how big you make the puffs, I usually make them about a tablespoon or two, they rise quite a bit.
My Private Note
cream p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1First, make the custard. Melt the butter in a large pot.
- 2Add sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- 3Add the milk slowly.
- 4Heat to boil, and then add egg yolks.
- 5Cook for 2 minutes, then add the vanilla, stirring constantly.
- 6Then transfer the custard to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap (or a lid) and put it into the fridge to cool completely before you fill the puffs.
- 7Next, make the puffs. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 8In a large pot, bring butter and water to a boil.
- 9All at once, add the flour and salt (I usually mix it together before.)
- 10Stir rapidly until mixture forms a ball on your spoon.
- 11Move the dough to a mixing bowl. I use an electric mixer, but you could beat it by hand if you want.
- 12Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- 13Mix in the vanilla and sugar.
- 14Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I always put wax paper down, but this is optional.
- 15Bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven. They should be golden brown with dry centers.
- 16Then, turn off the oven, and leave the puffs and the sheet in the oven for about an hour (Again, optional, but it keeps the puffs from collasping).
- 17Once the puffs are cool and the custard is chilled, put the custard in a plastic bag and cut off a small corner.
- 18Then poke a hole in each puff, and pipe the custard into the puffs.You could also use a pastry bag, or just split the puffs and spoon the custard in the puffs.
- 19Then enjoy your beautiful and yummy creation!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Puffs
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.0
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 133.0 mg
- Sodium 258.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 5.0 g