Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 mins
I've been looking for a great cream puff recipe, and this recipe is that!! I experimented with a couple recipes I found other places and this is the best I made. These are very good! Don't be nervous about all the steps, this is really pretty simple. If you like Cool Whip cream puffs, you can fill the puffs with Cool Whip instead of the custard. Note: the time doesn't account for the oven cooling time, but that is optional. The yield will vary depending on how big you make the puffs, I usually make them about a tablespoon or two, they rise quite a bit.
- First, make the custard. Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Add sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add the milk slowly.
- Heat to boil, and then add egg yolks.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then add the vanilla, stirring constantly.
- Then transfer the custard to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap (or a lid) and put it into the fridge to cool completely before you fill the puffs.
- Next, make the puffs. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large pot, bring butter and water to a boil.
- All at once, add the flour and salt (I usually mix it together before.)
- Stir rapidly until mixture forms a ball on your spoon.
- Move the dough to a mixing bowl. I use an electric mixer, but you could beat it by hand if you want.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla and sugar.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. I always put wax paper down, but this is optional.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven. They should be golden brown with dry centers.
- Then, turn off the oven, and leave the puffs and the sheet in the oven for about an hour (Again, optional, but it keeps the puffs from collasping).
- Once the puffs are cool and the custard is chilled, put the custard in a plastic bag and cut off a small corner.
- Then poke a hole in each puff, and pipe the custard into the puffs.You could also use a pastry bag, or just split the puffs and spoon the custard in the puffs.
- Then enjoy your beautiful and yummy creation!
Super easy and big hit at party. I drizzled melted chocolate over them to add a special touch.