1/2 Photos of Cream Puffs
Mrs. Kulik's Note:
A friend gave me this dough recipe, which works beautifully every time and leaves you with a perfectly puffy, hollowed out shell. The pudding recipe I included along with it comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but the filling options for these are endless and there's room for creativity. You can stuff the puffs with tuna or crab salad as an appetizer, or as I have here, use them as a desert with pudding, whipped cream, or ice cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For pudding filling
For puff shells
- 1First, prepare pudding.
- 2In a large saucepan, stir flour, sugar, and milk together.
- 3Stir continuously, cooking over medium heat, until bubbly.
- 4Cook, while stirring, for two minutes more.
- 5Remove from heat and stir about a cup of the milk mixture into the eggs gradually.
- 6Add this egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture and cook until NEARLY bubbly, avoiding a boil.
- 7Cook on low heat for two minutes more, stirring.
- 8Stir in the vanilla, cover the surface of the pudding with plastic wrap, and chill until serving time.
- 9Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 10Combine the water, oil, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 11Add all of the flour and stir well with a wooden spoon until dough forms a distinct ball in the middle of the saucepan.
- 12Cook a minute longer, while mashing and mixing the dough.
- 13Remove from the heat and let rest to cool for two minutes.
- 14Beat each egg into the dough, one by one.
- 15Drop the dough, in smoothed mounds, onto a greased baking sheet and bake about 25 minutes.
- 16For assembly, use a serrated knife to cut almost entirely around each puff three-quarters of the way up, to make a lid.
- 17Scoop out any excess dough that may be left inside, and spoon some filling into each puff, replacing the lids after finishing.
- 18Dust in a light coating of powdered sugar for presentation.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cream Puffs
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.7
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 228.5 mg
- Sodium 228.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 27.6 g
- Protein 13.1 g