Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by a co-worker. She brought a piece in for me for breakfast one day and I immediately asked for the recipe. This tastes just like a real bakery style cream puff, without all of the work or expense. Cooking time includes 1 hour chill time.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- For Crust: Heat water and butter over medium heat until butter in melted and mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in the flour all at once. Reduce heat to low and stir mixture vigorously about one minute or until mixture leaves sides of pand and forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until mixture is smooth,.
- Spread mixture evenly over bottom of 9x13 pan. Bake 20 minutes. Surface will puff unevenly. Prick 10-12 times to release steam; continue baking 5 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely.
- For filing: Pour milk into bowl. Add pudding mixes; whisk 2 minutes until thickened. Fold in 2 cups of whipped topping. Spread mixture evenly over cooled crust. Refridgerate 1 hour.
- For topping: Place chocolate and 1 cup cool whip in microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over cold squares.
- Refridgerate until ready to serve.
UPDATE: I've made these many times since my initial review, and they are one of our family's favorites. I've prepared them again this week in honor of the Cookathon for KelBel. (I made them this time using 1% milk and the filling wasn't as firm as when I've used whole or 2%.) INITIAL REVIEW: I wasn't sure this would taste like a bakery cream puff, but it sure did! Being chocolate lovers, I made double the chocolate sauce and thinly iced the squares rather than drizzle them with the chocolate mixture. It turned out just like the baked cream puffs at our grocery store, but cost a LOT less as you said. They were great, and I've promised to make them again next week. Thanks for sharing this recipe, KelBel!
I found this same recipe while flipping through cookbooks at my sister's house. I just made it last night for my family & 2 teenage nephews. We all loved it! Thanks for posting!