Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a favorite in my family. I made it for the holiday christmas party at work and everyone wanted the recipe. It is the best of cheese cake and chocolate in one.
- microwave 3/4 cup of margarine and 2 oz. chocolate squares until melted. Stir together.
- Stir in graham cracker crumbs, coconut and peanuts (I don't use the coconut because my husband doesn't like it). Press mixture onto bottom of 13x9 inch backing pan. Chill 30 minutes.
- Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla until well blended. Spread over graham cracker crust. Chill 30 minutes.
- Microwave reamaining margarine and chocolate squares until melted. Mix well, and then spread over the cream cheese layer. Chill until chocolate is hardened.
- cut into squares and serve. Hint: Warm a knife with warm water to cut without cracking the chocolate topping.
- The review reminded me that I do double my chocolate topping. It just makes it that much better!
I made these for a group I bake for on Wednesdays, and wow - did they ever get amazing reviews! Even better, these are so simple to make - no baking, only a few simle steps! I made the full version with the peanuts and coconut (I used sweetened coconut), and I did double the chocolate topping - I would recommend that to anyone making this recipe. The other thing you really really really need to do is score the chocolate with cutting lines while the chocolate is warm and starting to set - otherwise it's hard to cut through, with the soft creamy layer underneath (obviously, I didn't follow previous reviewer's tips to do this!) Also, make sure these are cold when you cut them - I'd set mine out for an hour before cutting them, and the creamy layer softened up surprizingly fast! These squares are so awesome, I will most definately make them again - thank you seesko, for the simple and showstopping recipe! Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
I recently had to cater a Christmas party and used this as one of my sqaure/bar recipes. These were one of the first things to go, and I actually saved a bunch for myself, because they were the tastiest of all our desserts. The only problem I ran into was that the graham crumbs, coconut and peanut section didn't hold together as nicely as I would have liked. Added a little bit of butter and baked that layer briefly in an oven (as you would with a graham cracker pie crust), it seemed to help a little, but still, a lot stuck to the pan. Next time, I will bake a little longer, or line the pan with foil first. Still, this recipe is a keeper and I will definitely make it again. Very easy and very delicious results!
I knew right away that I'd be doubling the chocolate topping ingredients & was happy to see, then, that someone else had already done that ~ I see these squares as GREAT CHOCOHOLATE FIXES, & I'll definitely be making them again! And, as much as I like peanuts, I did opt out of them this time! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Zaar Stars tag]