1/6 Photos of Cranberry and Almond Bakewell Tart: English Classic With a Twist
1 hr 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
This is a twist on the classic English Bakewell Tart or to be more authentic, a Bakewell Pudding. I added cranberries to the basic almond sponge mixture and my family loved it! ( All because my Mum had excess cranberries after the Festive Season! ) I made my own shortcrust pastry for this recipe, but any good quality ready-made pastry will be fine if you want to cut back on prepping and cooking time. This is delicious served warm or at room temperature, maybe with a dollop of cream, creme fraiche or even better, custard! I plan to make this with blackberries and raspberries when they are season, or indeed any other soft fruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 6 ounces butter or 6 ounces margarine or 6 ounces margarine, and butter combined
- 1 pinch salt
- cold water, to mix
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces caster sugar or 6 ounces superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces self raising flour
- 6 ounces ground almonds
- 3 -4 drops almond essence
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce or 3 tablespoons jam
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 ounces sliced almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 16 ounces ready-made shortcrust pastry, instead of home-made pastry (optional)
- 1Shortcrust Pastry:.
- 2Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt. Mix.
- 3Cut the butter or margarine into the flour, and then with your fingertips, rub the fat into the flour, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 4Add cold water gradually, until the pastry JUST comes together, it should NOT be sticky.
- 5Roll the pastry out and line a 10" to 11" greased and lined round, deep flan tin.
- 6Place a circle of baking parchment on top of the pastry and fill with baking beans.
- 7Bake blind in a pre-heated oven 200C/400F/Gas mark 6 for 10 minutes.
- 8Take out and carefully remove the baking beans and parchment.
- 9Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- 10Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- 11Bakewell Topping:.
- 12Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- 13Gradually add the beaten eggs and then fold in the flour and ground almonds. Add the almond essence to taste and mix well.
- 14Mix the raspberry jam and cranberry sauce together and spread over the base of the pastry case.
- 15Spoon the almond mixture over the top, making sure it reaches the edges and it is even and smooth.
- 16Sprinkle the cranberries over the top and then the flaked almonds.
- 17Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
- 18Cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the flan tin, then carefully turn out and just before serving, dust with icing sugar.
- 19Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature with cream, creme fraiche or custard.
- 20Cooking time includes pre-baking pastry.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry and Almond Bakewell Tart: English Classic With a Twist
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.4
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 113.8 mg
- Sodium 117.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g