This is a twist on the classic English Bakewell Tart or to be more authentic, a Bakewell Pudding. I added cranberries to the basic almond sponge mixture and my family loved it! ( All because my Mum had excess cranberries after the Festive Season! ) I made my own shortcrust pastry for this recipe, but any good quality ready-made pastry will be fine if you want to cut back on prepping and cooking time. This is delicious served warm or at room temperature, maybe with a dollop of cream, creme fraiche or even better, custard! I plan to make this with blackberries and raspberries when they are season, or indeed any other soft fruit.
- 12 ounces plain flour
- 6 ounces butter or 6 ounces margarine or 6 ounces margarine, and butter combined
- 1 pinch salt
- cold water, to mix
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 6 ounces caster sugar or 6 ounces superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces self raising flour
- 6 ounces ground almonds
- 3 -4 drops almond essence
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 3 tablespoons cranberry sauce or 3 tablespoons jam
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 ounces sliced almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 16 ounces ready-made shortcrust pastry, instead of home-made pastry (optional)
- Shortcrust Pastry:.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt. Mix.
- Cut the butter or margarine into the flour, and then with your fingertips, rub the fat into the flour, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cold water gradually, until the pastry JUST comes together, it should NOT be sticky.
- Roll the pastry out and line a 10" to 11" greased and lined round, deep flan tin.
- Place a circle of baking parchment on top of the pastry and fill with baking beans.
- Bake blind in a pre-heated oven 200C/400F/Gas mark 6 for 10 minutes.
- Take out and carefully remove the baking beans and parchment.
- Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Bakewell Topping:.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs and then fold in the flour and ground almonds. Add the almond essence to taste and mix well.
- Mix the raspberry jam and cranberry sauce together and spread over the base of the pastry case.
- Spoon the almond mixture over the top, making sure it reaches the edges and it is even and smooth.
- Sprinkle the cranberries over the top and then the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the flan tin, then carefully turn out and just before serving, dust with icing sugar.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature with cream, creme fraiche or custard.
- Cooking time includes pre-baking pastry.