Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
This cornbread dressing recipe has been a tradition in my family as long as I can remember. I finally sat my aunt down to give me the details of how to make it since the recipe was not written down but only in her head.
- 2 (9 inch) round cornbread (2 9-inch iron skillets)
- 1 1⁄2 loaves bread (king thin, toasted)
- 4 cups turkey drippings
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup celery (minced)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 6 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 6 hard-boiled eggs (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 onions (large, chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Crumble cooked cornbread and toasted bread and place in large aluminum turkey pan.
- In a sauce pan saute onion and celery.
- Add turkey drippings, sage, salt, butter, water and poultry seasoning to celery and onion and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Pour over cornbread mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Turn heat to 300 degrees and bake for 2 hours stirring occasionally to preferred consistency.
- Add chopped egg and return to oven for 30 minutes.