Luby Luby Luby's Note:
This is Paul Prudhomme's recipe for cornbread dressing that he uses in his Turducken recipe. I like to bake it as a side dish instead of stuffing for a turkey. If I'm short on time or if I do not have any chicken stock in the freezer I just use canned chicken broth. I also eliminated the giblets in the ingredients listing. If you like giblets add 1 1/2 pounds that have been boiled for an hour and then ground. I also reduced the Cayenne pepper from 2 tsp to 1/4 tsp and the Oregano from 2 tsp to 1 tsp. I can't imagine putting 2 tsp Cayenne pepper in this, however, if you want it VERY, VERY HOT feel free to use the original amount. I did modify the cooking steps a bit but it is still a fantastic dressing. Please don't let the long list of ingredients deter you from making this recipe - it is worth every step and it really is very easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 large bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 10 cups finely crumbled cornbread
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix the "seasoning mix" ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- 3In a large dutch oven or deep skillet melt the butter over medium heat and add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and bay leaf.
- 4Sauté until soft, scraping bottom occasionally, about 30-45 minutes.
- 5Add the seasoning mixture and sauté another 5 minutes.
- 6Add the stock or chicken broth and Tabasco sauce and cook another 5 minutes.
- 7Remove from heat and add the crumbled cornbread, milk and eggs, stirring well to mix.
- 8Spoon the dressing into a greased 9x13 baking pan, spreading mixture evenly.
- 9Bake for 45 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven and discard the bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornbread Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 211.8
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 123.0 mg
- Sodium 794.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: