Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I developed this recipe as a semi-healthy breakfast bread I can give to my kids in the morning. I think it's delicious as-is, but if you want to make it in a more traditional style, you can make any or all of the following substitutions: 2 cups sugar for 1/2 cups + 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 cup vegetable oil for 3/4 cup grapeseed oil + 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, 3 cups all-purpose flour for 1 1/2 cup all-purpose + 1 1/2 ww pastry flour. Also, my kids don't like nuts in sweet breads and muffins, so I use chocolate chips. You could replace those with more coconut or chopped nuts.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup grapeseed oil (or use canola)
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed, ground
- 3 cups zucchini, unpeeled and grated (about 2 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip (or chopped nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease loaf pans and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beaten eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt (if using), and flaxseed (if using) until thoroughly blended. Stir in the zucchini.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Gradually add to the wet ingredients, mixing well. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chips. Pour into the loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour until they look brown and firm and don't jiggle when you shake the pans. Cool on a baking rack.