Simple to make and really good! This wafer thin cookie is both crispy and a bit chewy, with just a hint of orange rind flavor. They disappear very quickly I might add, leaving you craving more! Unknown where it originally came from.
- Mix flour and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In mixer bowl blend thoroughly together shortening, eggs, sugar, vanilla and orange rind.
- Add to the flour and salt mixture and blend well.
- Fold in oats and coconut.
- Drop teaspoonful size amounts onto very lightly greased cookie sheets, allowing 2 inches between each cookie.
- Flatten thin with a knife which has been dipped in ice water.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until brown around the edges.
- Remove quickly from cookie sheet and cool on paper towels.
- Note: Cookies will crisp up when completly cooled.
- Do not store in tightly sealed container.
Excellant! My family loved these cookies. According to them The orange zest made this totaly different from what I use to make. A must make again for them.
This is a lovely little cookie. I didn't have any oranges to zest, so used grapefruit zest as a sub. I was initially a little concerned by no leavening, but everything turned out just fine. My cookies turned out best at 12 minutes cooking time.