GREAT COMBINATON! My friends nicknamed these cookies "black-white" bars. These bars help with the chocolate and coconut cravings at the same time! They sell well at Bake Sales! Careful not to overbake. They store well in an air-tight container and flavor enhances with age.
- In a medium size bowl, beat eggs and add sugar. Blend in melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt. Blend into mixture.
- Pour one-half of batter into another bowl. In one batter add cocoa and the one tablespoon of melted butter. In the second batter add coconut.
- Pour the chocolate batter into a greased 8 x 8 baking pan. Spread the coconut batter on top.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool.
- Topping: Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 1 minute. Add melted butter and mix. Spread onto cooled bars. Let cool completely and cut into bars. Cut small--they are rich. (I have placed pan in fridg for 30 minutes to cool quickly.).
Delicious!!!! These were sooo good and not to sweet. I was looking for something to satisfy my husbands chocolate craving and my coconut craving and my children don't like nuts! These were perfect, made them for a party and were enjoyed by everyone! I used Ghiradelli milk chocolate chips for the top and double the recipe and made them in a 9x13 pan. I baked them for 30 min. and they were perfect! I like this recipe because it didn't require a lot of specialty ingredients, I had everything I needed at home to make it, so it wasn't pricey. Definitely will make this again!
I made these on 9/29/08. And I've got to tell you, "That these little suckers are nothing but pure evil". And I mean that in a good way.You have to be careful about eating too many at one time, they are very rich.They would be perfect with a glass of milk. These are going to be made again.Thank you for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"
5 stars are not enough of a rating for these!These turned out perfectly.I baked them for exactly 25 minutes and they were nice and soft.As another reviewer said they had a runny coconut layer,as I did.I have them in the fridge now and that seems to be helping.To enhance the coconut flavour I also added a tsp of coconut extract.These really are super sinful..and I love it!Thanks!