Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I make these for my dad all the time, he generally burns his tongue on them because he can't wait to taste them! I got this recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (half margarine or butter softened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄2 cups wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (Can substitute 1 Cup chopped pecans for walnuts and coconut)
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
orange lemon frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 350. Mix powdered sugar and shortening. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of flour. Press in ungreased oblong pan 13x9x2 inches. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Mix remaining ingredients. Spread over baked layer. Bake 20 minutes; cool. Frost with Orange Lemon Frosting if desired.