I adopted this recipe 9/06. It is incredible. The great reviews are not misleading. I don't get why the instructions tell you to trim the cake. I just chilled the cake for a bit and then spread the frosting on the sides of the cake. This will be my main chocolate cake from now on. I didn't take a great picture of the cake, but the one I took gives you a hint of how much I loved this cake. I didn't share it, I just got a fork and ate it for 3 days right off of the platter. The original description follows..... This is a super chocolatey buttermilk cake and icing. Very easy to make. This cake is "the" employee comfort food at the catering company where I work.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 1⁄2 ounces buttermilk
- 7 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and line with parchment a 9 x 13 cake pan Melt butter, stir in water and cocoa and whisk until smooth.
- set aside.
- sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whick together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add cocoa mixture and buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Combine very well.
- Pour into cake pan and bake until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes while making icing.
- ICING: Melt butter, add buttermilk and cocoa.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Put powdered sugar into a food processor.
- With motor running, pour cocoa mixture through feed tube.
- Do not over process.
- Put a platter over the cake pan, flip over so that the cake comes out onto the platter.
- Remove parchment Pour icing over the top of cake and spread evenly over cake to the edges using an offset spatula.
- Do not worry if some goes over the sides.
- Refrigerate cake for 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and with a serrated knife, trim all 4 sides of the cake about 1/4 inch.
- Cut into pieces to serve.