1/1 Photo of Cocoa-Buttermilk Cake
Mrs Goodall's Note:
I adopted this recipe 9/06. It is incredible. The great reviews are not misleading. I don't get why the instructions tell you to trim the cake. I just chilled the cake for a bit and then spread the frosting on the sides of the cake. This will be my main chocolate cake from now on. I didn't take a great picture of the cake, but the one I took gives you a hint of how much I loved this cake. I didn't share it, I just got a fork and ate it for 3 days right off of the platter. The original description follows..... This is a super chocolatey buttermilk cake and icing. Very easy to make. This cake is "the" employee comfort food at the catering company where I work.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter and line with parchment a 9 x 13 cake pan Melt butter, stir in water and cocoa and whisk until smooth.
- 3set aside.
- 4sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- 5In a separate bowl, whick together eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- 6Add cocoa mixture and buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients.
- 7Combine very well.
- 8Pour into cake pan and bake until skewer comes out clean.
- 9Cool for 20 minutes while making icing.
- 10ICING: Melt butter, add buttermilk and cocoa.
- 11Whisk until smooth.
- 12Put powdered sugar into a food processor.
- 13With motor running, pour cocoa mixture through feed tube.
- 14Do not over process.
- 15Put a platter over the cake pan, flip over so that the cake comes out onto the platter.
- 16Remove parchment Pour icing over the top of cake and spread evenly over cake to the edges using an offset spatula.
- 17Do not worry if some goes over the sides.
- 18Refrigerate cake for 2 hours.
- 19Remove from refrigerator and with a serrated knife, trim all 4 sides of the cake about 1/4 inch.
- 20Cut into pieces to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocoa-Buttermilk Cake
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 723.3
- Calories from Fat 334
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 946.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 66.2 g
- Protein 7.3 g