1/5 Photos of Cocoa and Cream Cake
This is a cake that has been made for birthdays for over 50 years in my family. It is 3 layers of dense chocolate cake with a smooth velvety truffle like filling and whipped cream frosting. Sure to please and impress any chocolate lover!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups water, boiling hot
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3In a medium bowl, sift cocoa into boiling hot water, mix well. Let cool completely. Can put in refrigerator to speed cooling.
- 4Meanwhile, grease and flour or line with parchment paper, three 9x1 1/2" layer cake pans.
- 5In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- 6In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar at high speed until well mixed. Add eggs and vanilla and beat at high speed, scraping the sides of the bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- 7At lowest speed on mixer beat in alternately starting and ending with the flour mixture in fourths and cooled cocoa mixture in thirds. Scrape sides of bowl after each addition. Do not overbeat.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertips.
- 9Cool in pans 10 minutes. Gently remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- 10Chocolate Filling:.
- 11In a small bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter until smooth.
- 12Sift in powdered sugar and cocoa, add eggs, and beat until filling is fluffy and smooth.
- 13Refrigerate until needed and until firmer.
- 15In a medium bowl, combine cream, sifted powdered sugar and vanilla; beat with mixer on high speed until stiff and of spreading consistency.
- 16Refrigerate until needed.
- 17To assemble cake:.
- 18On a cake platter, place one layer of cake, top side up, spread with half of the filling.
- 19Invert second cake layer on top of first layer and filling, spread with remaining filling.
- 20Place the third cake layer top side up over the second layer and filling.
- 21Frost the top and sides of cake with frosting.
- 22Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cocoa and Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.3
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 22.7 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 401.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 44.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g