Yumm, whats not to like...An old family favorite. My mil's tasty coffee cake made with cinnamon and hazelnuts. This is a great snack when coming in from the cold. Perfect when served warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, jumbo
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, ground
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Greased and flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan, set aside.
- Next make the topping, by melting the butter and adding the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and hazelnuts together.
- Make sure to mix well, set aside until needed.
- You will use this topping to sprinkle between the batter layers, don't forget to save some for the top.
- Next cream the butter and sugar together, add the eggs and beat well.
- Mix milk and vanilla extract together.
- Sift the dry ingredients together, then add alternately with the milk and vanilla mixture.
- Pour half the batter into a greased and floured 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle half the topping mixture over the batter.
- Add the remaining batter and top with the remaining topping mix.
- Bake in 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Enjoy with a big pot of hot tea.