It's zucchini time and I can't cook it fast enough. I have so much of it in my garden this year. This Tropical chocolate cake has a hint of cinnamon, dried cherries but you can use raisins and my Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam in the frosting but you can use any pineapple jam.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups packed shredded zucchini (Skin and all)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dried tart cherry
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple preserves (or Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Sift by hand or mix all dry ingredients in a food processor with metal blade set aside.
- In the food processor add butter, oil and sugar mix till creamy add eggs then vanilla through feed tube while machine is running.
- Add zucchini then flour mixture.
- Add cherries and pulse to mix inches Bake in a geased and floured bundt pan at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
- When toothpick inserted into cake cames out clean.
- In the food processor mix cheese and jam spread on cooled cake.
- Press coconut into frosting of cake.
Delicious cake. I loved the chopped cherries in this, which you could taste and see in every bite. Very moist and tender cake. MIne took 55 minutes exactly. I did use Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam Zucchini, Pineapple, Ginger Jam,as recommended, in the icing and it was an excellent compliment to the cake - a litle tangy and a little sweet. A nice idea for a church social or ladies coffee.