1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
My wife found the original version of this recipe in the 2003 Penzeys fall catalog. We have adjusted it to our liking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut oil or 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups packed zucchini, grated, about 4 medium zucchini (see note*)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 cups chopped nuts, to taste (highly desirable) (optional)
- 1Note*: grate zucchini and squeeze in paper towels to extract as much juice as possible before measuring. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla extract, and mix until well blended.
- 3In a small saucepan, melt 2 Tbsp butter, add 6 Tbsp cocoa powder, blend together until smooth, and set aside to cool.
- 4If desired, peel the zucchini (we don't), grate it, and squeeze out and discard as much juice as you can before measuring.
- 5Add zucchini and cooled cocoa mixture to the large mixing bowl, and blend well.
- 6Sift together the 2 cups flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- 7Add dry ingredients to the batter, and stir only enough to blend in all the dry ingredients; do not over-mix.
- 8In another small bowl, coat the chocolate chips with the 2 Tsp flour.
- 9This helps prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan.
- 10Stir the flour-coated chocolate chips into the batter.
- 11Spoon the batter into 2 generously greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans, and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 12Cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, remove from pans, and continue to cool on a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1768 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2345.5
- Calories from Fat 861
- Total Fat 95.7 g
- Saturated Fat 31.5 g
- Cholesterol 347.7 mg
- Sodium 2022.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 364.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 237.8 g
- Protein 30.2 g