1/4 Photos of Chocolate Stout Cake
1 hr 20 mins
susie cooks's Note:
Fine cooking Holiday Baking
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups stout beer (such as Guinness don't include foam when measuring)
- 1/3 cup dark molasses (not blackstrap)
- 7 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour (1 2/3 cups)
- 2 1/4 ounces unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not dutch process, 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces unsalted butter, softened at room temperature (1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, very finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- 2Butter a 10-12 cup bundt pan and lightly dust with sifted cocoa.
- 3Tap out excess.
- 4In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the stout and molasses to a simmer.
- 5Remove from heat and let stand while preparing the batter.
- 6Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 7In a mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter for about 1 minute, add brown sugar and beat on medium speed until fluffy and light- about 3 minutes.
- 8Scrape down sides as needed.
- 9Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition.
- 10With the mixer on low, alternate adding the flour mixture and the stout mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
- 11Scrape down sides of bowl and then beat for 20 seconds until smooth.
- 12Stir in chopped chocolate.
- 13Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- 14Run knife through batter to eliminate air pockets.
- 15Bake until wooden skewer comes out with only a few moist crumbs clinging to it- about 45-50 minutes.
- 16Let cake cool for 20 minutes then invert cake on to a rack to cool until just barely warm.
- 17To make glaze: bring cream to a boil in a saucepan over high heat, remove pan from heat and add chocolate.
- 18Whisk until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- 19Let cool for 5 minutes before drizzling over cake.
- 20Drizzle glaze over cake.
- 21If you are making the cake ahead- do not glaze, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
- 22Glaze when ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Stout Cake
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.2
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 184.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 6.6 g