Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Growing up, these were always made for every kid's birthday party and for Christmas. They are so easy to make and very fudgy. The yield on these will vary depending on how big you make the snowballs. The "cooking" time is the time it takes for the mixture to cool.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups coconut
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Boil sugar,milk and butter gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Fold in rolled oats, 1 cup coconut, cocoa and vanilla.
- Chill mixture for about 1/2-1 hour. Form into balls and roll into remaining coconut.
- Some tips for getting the texture of these correct:.
- -- Be precise with your measurements.
- -- Boil for no more than 5 minutes and time it from point it starts to boil.
- -- Do not stir the mixture as it boils. This can cause crystallization of the sugar and results in a hard end product.
I loved this recipe! These are the same cookies I remember from childhood.
these are exactly the snowballs my mother made for me every Christmas!!!!