This is a colorful twist on the old favorite "Rice Krispy" treats. These go over well with children and are a big seller at bake sales. You may cut them into much smaller squares, if desired. We like them huge!
- Measure out cereal into a huge bowl and set aside.
- Melt margarine and marshmallows together in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring (do not let burn).
- As soon as the mixture has melted together, pour over the cereal and mix well using two large spoons.
- Let the cereal mixture cool down just a few seconds, then stir in 1/2 cup of the mini M&Ms candies, saving the remaining 1/2 cup for later.
- Mix well; some of the M&Ms will melt and the cereal will turn chocolaty.
- Immediately spread this mixture into a 9x13" baking pan that has been greased or sprayed with nonstick baking spray.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup M&Ms over the top, pressing if needed to make them stick to the top (using a large sheet of wax paper to press will keep your fingers from getting sticky).
- Allow to cool completely.
- When cool, cut into 12 large pieces (or smaller pieces for more servings).
- Note: regular M&Ms will not melt quickly enough, which is why I recommend the miniature.