1/3 Photos of Chocolate Pie
1 hr 5 mins
My great-grandmother was famous for this pie. Not a single Thanksgiving or Christmas passed without this as one of the desserts. After numerous years of experimentation, I have finally decoded her notes well enough to do her memory honor when making it, so I thought I would share it. Make your own piecrust or use a storebought one, as you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bake pie crust as directed on wrapper. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine sugar, corn starch, and flour and set aside. Separate eggs and reserve whites in a small metal bowl.
- 2Melt chocolate in a large pot over low heat. Pour milk into a microwaveable container and gradually warm it through (30 seconds at time, stirring in between).
- 3Add the milk to chocolate and begin heating on high, stirring constantly. Stir yolks thoroughly then gradually add to chocolate and milk mixture. Drizzle the yolks in slowly, in a long thin strand, and stir continuously to help prevent them from clumping up.
- 4Slowly add sugar, corn starch and flour mixture to the pot; stir continually. Adjust heat to medium while stirring. Stop stirring when mixture thickens up, and pour into pie crust.
- 5Make the meringue in a small metal bowl: Beat egg whites until stiff (little peaks should form when beaters are pulled out of the mixture). A non-metal bowl can be used, but it will take longer and won't be as fluffy (but still delicious!).
- 6Add 2 T sugar and beat. Add last 2 T sugar and beat again. Don't overbeat, or the meringue will weep after baking. It should still form nice peaks when beaters are pulled out.
- 7Add vanilla extract and mix with a spoon. Spoon meringue onto the top of the pie.
- 8Bake until meringue turns brown on top and edges, about 5-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Pie
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.1
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 85.4 mg
- Sodium 262.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 36.3 g
- Protein 7.6 g