A healthy snack cake. Do NOT sub Splenda for the 1/3 cup sugar in the dry ingredients. The sugar helps keep cake moister. Eat plain or with a dollop of sugar-free Cool Whip.
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Mix lightly, in a mixer bowl, the oat bran, water, egg, oil, Splenda, extracts, and vinegar. Let stand 30 to 45 minutes. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9-inch square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir remaining dry ingredients together in a separate bowl to blend well.
- Add dry ingredients to bran mixture and mix at medium speed about 1 minute.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean from center.
- Cool on wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.