1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the torte
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, plus
- 12 hazelnuts (to garnish)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the glaze
- 1Preheat an oven to 375°F.
- 2Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch round springform cake pan.
- 3To make the torte, spread the 1/2 cup hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 4While the nuts are still warm, place them in a kitchen towel and rub with the towel to remove the skins.
- 5Do not worry if bits of skin remain.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over but not touching gently simmering water in a saucepan.
- 8Stir often until the chocolate melts, then remove from the heat.
- 9In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or in a blender, combine the skinned nuts with the 2/3 cup sugar.
- 10Pulse until finely ground.
- 11Add to the chocolate mixture and stir until blended.
- 12Let cool; then add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 13In a bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa.
- 14Stir into the chocolate mixture.
- 15In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- 16Add the 2 Tbs sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- 17Using a rubber spatula, fold one-fourth of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it.
- 18Then fold in the remaining whites just until no white streaks remain.
- 19Pour into the prepared pan.
- 20Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out almost clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 21Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool.
- 22To make the glaze, combine the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a heatproof bowl set over but not touching gently simmering water in a saucepan.
- 23Stir often until the chocolate melts, then remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- 24Let cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes; the glaze will thicken slightly.
- 25Set the rack over a baking sheet, invert the torte onto the rack and lift off the pan.
- 26Pour on the glaze, tilting the torte to coat the top and sides completely.
- 27When the glaze stops dripping, place the 12 hazelnuts around the top of the cake.
- 28Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
- 29Makes one 9-inch torte.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.9
- Calories from Fat 270
- Total Fat 30.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 166.8 mg
- Sodium 40.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 5.1 g