Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
For the torte
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, plus
- 12 hazelnuts (to garnish)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the glaze
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Preheat an oven to 375°F.
- Lightly butter and flour a 9-inch round springform cake pan.
- To make the torte, spread the 1/2 cup hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven until lightly browned and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes.
- While the nuts are still warm, place them in a kitchen towel and rub with the towel to remove the skins.
- Do not worry if bits of skin remain.
- Set aside.
- Place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over but not touching gently simmering water in a saucepan.
- Stir often until the chocolate melts, then remove from the heat.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or in a blender, combine the skinned nuts with the 2/3 cup sugar.
- Pulse until finely ground.
- Add to the chocolate mixture and stir until blended.
- Let cool; then add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa.
- Stir into the chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add the 2 Tbs sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold one-fourth of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it.
- Then fold in the remaining whites just until no white streaks remain.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out almost clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool.
- To make the glaze, combine the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a heatproof bowl set over but not touching gently simmering water in a saucepan.
- Stir often until the chocolate melts, then remove from the heat and stir until smooth.
- Let cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes; the glaze will thicken slightly.
- Set the rack over a baking sheet, invert the torte onto the rack and lift off the pan.
- Pour on the glaze, tilting the torte to coat the top and sides completely.
- When the glaze stops dripping, place the 12 hazelnuts around the top of the cake.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve.
- Makes one 9-inch torte.