Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
An attractive and tasty bar cookie adapted from Family Circle magazine. Using the Nutella as frosting makes this simple and quick to put together. Note added 9/16/05: Even though the recipe calls simply for an egg yolk, I would suggest using the whole egg as I believe they will hold together better. Thanks to Caroline Cooks for testing this change. :)
- Heat oven to 350°F and generously coat a 13x9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray (I lined with non-stick aluminum foil, allowing excess over sides of pan so I can lift them out to cut).
- Beat together butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla in medium-size bowl until well blended.
- Mix in flour, salt and 1/3 cup finely chopped hazelnuts.
- Press evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove pan to wire rack and cool 10 minutes.
- Spread top evenly with chocolate-hazelnut spread, then sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts.
- Chill to set top, then cut into 24 bars.
Made these fantastic bars. They really deserve more stars than 5*****. The taste is unbelievable. Mine didn't fall apart at all (followed your suggestion of whole egg, Gayla)I did add some extra nuts *sliced almonds* to the top Tok some to my elderly neighbors last night...they wanna adopt me. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.Caroline