1/2 Photos of Chocolate-Glazed Coconut-Almond Cake
This is the most sinfully delicious dessert you will ever try! Make for any formal, (or any occasion at all) and this recipe will not disappoint. Presentation is exceptional and elegant. You will need only a very small slice, very rich! This recipe came from Bon Appetit, February, 1994 issue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces almond paste, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon imitation coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup canned cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 ounces imported white chocolate, chopped (such as Lindt)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- sliced almonds, toasted
- 1For the cake-----------.
- 2Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- 3Butter and flour 9" diameter cake pan with 2" high sides.
- 4Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar, almond paste and butter in large bowl to blend.
- 5Add yolks, extract and salt and beat 1 minute.
- 6On low speed, beat in flour alternately with milk in 3 additions each.
- 7Mix in coconut.
- 8Using electric mixer fitted with clean dry beaters, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks.
- 9Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
- 10Fold whites into batter.
- 11Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 12Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 13Cool cake in pan on rack 20 minutes.
- 14Run small sharp knife around sides to loosen cake.
- 15Turn out cake onto rack; cool completely.
- 16For Filling-----------.
- 17Bring cream of coconut and butter to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over low heat.
- 18Add white chocolate; stir until melted.
- 19Pour into bowl and cool.
- 20Add cream cheese and beat until smooth.
- 21Mix in coconut.
- 22Chill until spreadable, about 30 minutes.
- 23For Glaze-----------.
- 24Bring 3/4 cup whipping cream and corm syrup to a simmer in heavy medium saucepan.
- 25Add chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- 26Cool until just pourable, about 15 minutes.
- 27Using serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half.
- 28Place 1 cake layer cut side up on plate.
- 29Spread filling over.
- 30Top with second cake layer cut side down.
- 31Pour half of glaze over top of cake, spreading with spatula to cover sides and smooth top (reserve remaining glaze for sauce).
- 32Press almonds around sides and in 1" border around top edge of cake.
- 33Refridgerate cake until glaze sets, about 1 hour.
- 34(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover cake with cake dome; chill. Chill remaining glaze. Let cake stand 2 hours at room temperature before continuing.) Mix reserved glaze and remaining 1/4 cup whipping cream in saucepan.
- 35Stir over low heat until sauce is heated through.
- 36Slice cake; serve with sauce.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Glazed Coconut-Almond Cake
Serving Size: 1 (211 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.1
- Calories from Fat 362
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.1 g
- Cholesterol 159.9 mg
- Sodium 174.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 43.7 g
- Protein 8.0 g