Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
An axcellent filling for chocolate cakes and tortes. If you like,you can add 1-2 tablespoons of rum,sherry or a flavoured liqueur,depending on the flavour or occasion .
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (I use Bournville)
- 1⁄2 liter double cream
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a saucepan.Mix in the double cream.
- Over a very low heat and stirring constantly to prevent the chocolate from scorching,work the mixture until all the chocolate has melted and you have a smooth creamy mixture(stir gently - do not beat).
- Turn up the heat and keep stirring until boiling point has just been reached.Remove from the heat.
- cool, stirring once in a while,until the mixture begins to thicken and set.
- At this stage, the mixture can be stored in a refrigerator until required(1-2 days),.
- if it's not to be used immediately.
- Put the mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer.Add your favourite liqueur at.
- this stage (if using).
- Mix at high speed using a whisk until the mixture doubles in volume.It will lighten in.
- colour and become fluffy in appearance after.
- approximately 5 minutes(don't try it with a handwhisk unless you're Superman).
- Use immediately before it becomes hard and.
- unspreadable to fill and decorate the outside of cakes and tortes.
I love this whipped ganache. I put it on brownies and they were great. Also, you can pour an unwhipped layer on, chill it then spread a whipped layer on top of that--wicked! If don't have a beater handy, you split the recipe into quarters, you can whip it with a whisk.
This recipe did not work for me. Everything was fine right up to the point of beating it with the mixer. The mixture appeared to curdle and did not thicken enough. It tasted delicious but looked horrible. Really ruined the appearance of my son's birthday cake. Also it was dramatically lighter in appearance than in the photos - more of a mocha color. I didn't make any changes to the ingredients so I am unsure of what went wrong but I would not make again.