This complete recipe can be doubled. It is best to slice the bars while the chocolate topping is only semi hardened, this will prevent the chocolate from cracking.
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package mini marshmallows
- 5 1⁄2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Pour the rice cereal and chopped peanuts (if using) in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan combine the light corn syrup and white sugar; bring to a boil; continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in butter or margarine, peanut butter and vanilla until melted and smooth.
- Add in mini marshmallows and stir until blended.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the rice cereal and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Press the mixture into an greased 11 x 7-inch baking pan, flatten with the back of a buttered spoon.
- In a microwave-safe bowl microwave the chocolate chips with shortening on HIGH until melted, removing once to stir.
- Immediately spread the hot chocolate mixture evenly over the bars; chill to harden the chocolate.
- Cut into desired size bars.