1/2 Photos of Chocolate Cream Pie
This filling just on it's own is good enough to serve for a pudding or mousse, this is a beautiful pie that makes a wonderful after dinner dessert to serve to your guests. It can also be made using a graham cracker crust, if you are a serious chocolate lover, then you will love this pie. Plan ahead this pie needs to chill for 6 hours or more before serving. Please do not cut into it before the 6 hours, as it will not be set enough. Make certain to finely chop the chocolate well so it will incorporate into the hot cream, you can do this, and bake the crust well in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (can use store-bought ready-made chocolate crust or use a graham cracker crust)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar (can use less)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares (grated or chopped very small)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups whipping cream (measure 2 cups before whipping)
- 1/4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- grated semisweet chocolate
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F (middle rack).
- 2To make crust: mix together all ingredients.
- 3Press into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate (1-quart capacity).
- 4Bake for 12 minutes: cool completely.
- 5For filling: in a 3-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan (make certain to use a heavy saucepan for this as it will scorch on the bottom) stir together 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks.
- 6Whisk in half and half cream; bring to a boil slowly over medium heat, whisking constantly, then add in the finely chopped chocolate until smooth and melted; cook about 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly until thick (filling will be very thick).
- 7Remove from heat and add in butter and vanilla.
- 8Cover the top of the filling with plastic wrap (lay the plastic wrap directly on top of filling) and cool slightly (about 1-1/2 - 2 hours).
- 9Spoon the filling into the crust and cover lighty with plastic wrap.
- 10Refrigerate pie for a minimum of 6 hours (don't try to cut into the pie before the 6 hours it will not hold together!).
- 11Just before serving whip the cream and spoon on top of pie, the grate chocolate on top of the whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2095 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6488.4
- Calories from Fat 4061
- Total Fat 451.2 g
- Saturated Fat 268.1 g
- Cholesterol 1986.4 mg
- Sodium 3167.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 603.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.7 g
- Sugars 445.7 g
- Protein 62.3 g