Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the "Toasted Coconut Cupcakes" recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I just made them and they are delicious! The recipe below uses shortening whereas the original recipe calls for coconut oil. If you want to use a full can of coconut milk, just double the recipe. Enjoy!
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the shortening over low heat. (Once melted, turn the heat off, but leave on stove so it doesn't solidify.).
- In a separate bowl mix together coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and coconut extract. Stir in the melted shortening.
- Add the flour mixture in batches. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in the coconut.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
WOW, these muffins are great, great, great! So moist, fluffy and yummy! Mmmm, we could not get enough of them! I made them for my dad's bday and they were gone so fast! At first I thought that maybe 2 ts of extract was too much, because they smelt so very coconutty, but in the end it was perfect!
I made a couple of changes due to what I had on hand: I used half whole spelt flour for the ap, a home-made coconut milk and only 1 ts shortening. Furthermore I reduced the sugar to 1/4 c as I felt that would be enough for our taste. The muffins came out great and I will certainly make them often again. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper, hon!
Made and reviewed during Veggie Swap #48 August 2012.
I seem to be working my way through all the recipes in VCTOTW. This is another great one! I didn't have shortening so I subbed 1/3 cup oil, which is a common amount in their other recipes. The cupcakes are really tasty, a little on the crumbly side though which I'm assuming is due to my sub. Topped with chocolate frosting, they're quite delicious. Thanks WICC!
Delicious! Made as directed! Thanks, Wish I Could Cook! Made for Vegetarian Recipe Swap.