Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
These bars taste almost like Mound chocolate bars, for a change of taste, you could replace the chocolate chips with butterscotch chips, or any flavor that you desire.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-in baking pan.
- FOR CRUST: Mix together, the crumbs, brown sugar and the melted butter.
- press gently into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 10-15 mins; remove from oven.
- FOR TOP LAYER: Combine the coconut and the milk.
- Gently spread over the crumb crust.
- Return to oven, and bake for another 15 mins.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with chocolate chips (any amount desired).
- Allow the chocolate to melt, then spread gently, evenly all over the bars.
- Cool, cut into bars.
These bars were a hit at a BBQ! I used half chocolate chips and half buttersctoch chips, just for fun. They were delicious! I will definitely make these again.
I made these for DD who had some friends over and I was trying to use up some coconut I had. My coconut was finely shredded and I only put 2 cups in as my family doesn't have a lot of experience with coconut and 2 cups looked like more than they could handle. I used about 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips. It was late when I took them out of the oven so they were still pretty warm when we dug into them. Wow! Melted chocolate on coconut! DD, DH, DS (the pickest!) and I loved them. They were just as good the next day. I will be making these again. Any one who likes Mounds Bars will like these. Thanks for a new dessert.
Fab recipe - have been making a v similar recipe for years called "Magic Cookie Bars "- kids & adults all adore them !