Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A friend posted this in her LiveJournal, and even though our family isn't vegan, I still love to make these because they taste so good, and I don't have to worry about having fresh eggs, milk, butter, etc. on hand in quantity. Makes between 3 to 4 dozen, depending on how large you make them; I tend to get 42 2.5" cookies. Cooking time is for the whole batch, assuming 24 cookies per sheet; if you make larger cookies and get only 18 per sheet, add another 10 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (or non-vegan, if you're not a vegan)
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preaheat the oven to 350.
- In a large boak, sift together flour, baking cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix oil and sugar. Add ground flaxseeds, soy milk (I like chocolate soy milk for extra chocolatiness!), and vanilla extracts. Mix well.
- Fold in the flour mixture in batches until a stiff dough forms. I use my stand mixer, but the original recipe recommends mixing with your hands. Do what you like :).
- Add chocolate chips and/or walnuts to finished dough.
- Roll the cookies into 1" balls and flatten into disks about 1.5" in diameter -- or shape with two spoons, if you don't want to get your hands into it. The oil content makes them pretty easy to shape by hand, though.
- Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets about 1" apart -- they don't spread out very much. If you don't like parchment or don't have any on hand, spray with your favorite non-stick spray, or just grease the pan with margarine or (for non-vegans) butter. I just use butter and it comes out fine.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool completely, so that their shape stays nice and circular.
- Enjoy, while marveling that the taste is SO good, you'd never guess it's vegan!
These cookies were amazing!! It's so hard to find lactose-free desserts that actually taste good, and don't have odd ingredients you can't find in your local supermarket. Thank you!!! :)