Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is based on a recipe from BH&G's New Cook Book, third printing in 1990. I was surprised that I couldn't find this recipe posted here, although there is a similar one, also from BH&G. Before joining 'Zaar, this has been my go-to recipe when I feel like whipping up a batch of chocolate chip cookies and I prefer it to the recipes printed on the bag of chips. I only make one change, which I noted next to the butter ingredient, in order to keep the ingredients the same as the original.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (I always use 1 cup salted butter) or 1⁄2 cup butter (I always use 1 cup salted butter)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate pieces (2 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts (filerts) (optional) or 1 cup pecans (filerts) (optional) or 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped (filerts) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Using the medium or high setting of an electric mixer, beat shortening and margarine or butter together for 30 seconds in mixing bowl.
- Add about half of the flours, the brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and baking soda.
- Beat mixture till thoroughly combined.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Using wooden spoon, stir in chocolate pieces and optionally, the nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 miutes or till edges are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack.
These are seriously the best chocolate chip cookies ever. They are soft and doughy, just delicious. I added your recommended 1 cup of butter (used Brummel & Brown natural yogurt butter though), and it was perfect. The only thing I did differently was add the chocolate chips after the cookie dough was already spooned onto the cookie sheet...this is just a personal preference, as I prefer to keep the # of chips/cookie to a minimum (4-6 depending on size of cookie). Thanks for sharing!
OMG! These cookies are off the chain!My kids love them too!
This was a good recipe, easy to make, nice dough to work with. I used M&M's instead of choc chips, and my work mates really liked them. Thanks!