Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you are a chocolate and cherry lover then the chocolate is for you, this also is equally wonderful using a white cake mix with cherry or strawberry Jello, cherry pie filling and white Cool Whip or Whipped cream, I make the white version with my Kittencal's White Cake but boxed is fine
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry gelatin (or use strawberry)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling (or use a 28 ounce can)
- 1 (16 ounce) containerchocolate flavor cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed (or use sweetened whipped cream)
- grated chocolate (or can use chopped nuts)
- Prepare and bake the cake mix according to package directions in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Cool then remove the cake from the pan.
- Immediately poke holes down into the cake using a fork (holes should be at 1-in intervals).
- Cool cake completely.
- When the cake is cooked combine the Jello with boiling water until combined; pour the mixture over the cake.
- Top with pie filling, then cover with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- If making the chocolate cake sprinkle grated chocolate over the top or chopped nuts (this is only optional).
Wow sweets, wonderful cake! This was DD's birthday cake and she loved it along with the family. I used black cherry gelatin and two regular sized cans of cherry pie filling. frosted with chocolate Cool Whip and sprinkled chopped nuts on top. A very moist cake that any chocolate and cherry lover will enjoy. Fantastic! I will be making this again for DD and my family! Thank you Kitten for a very nice birthday cake! Make and reviewed for KK's Recipe Tag Game.
I made this today and used a butter chocolate cake mix, dark cherry jello and the cherry pie filling . I thought it was good but not fantastic...it seemed to need something but not sure what...I did enjoy it though as it was very moist and I love chocolate.
I made the white version of this, as listed in the description and it was wonderful!!! The only recommendation I have is that you use a sharp knife and wipe it off (or rinse in a cup of water) as you are cutting the pieces as the cake tended to stick to our spatula. Will definitely make this again! Thanks! :)