1/1 Photo of Chocolate Caramel Tart
2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Miss Erin's Note:
This is from the Valentines Issue of Martha Stewart Living. What a lovely "Love Day" dessert this would be!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For Chocolate Pate Sucree
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled,cut into pieces
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Tart
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- cocoa, for dusting
For Caramel-Dipped Pecans
- 1For the Chocolate Pate Sucree-----------.
- 2Place the flour, cocoa, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor, pulse several times to combine Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds Add the egg yolks and vanilla and process just until the mixture begins to hold together, no more than 30 seconds Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form a disk.
- 3Cover in plastic wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- 4For the Tart----------------.
- 5Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- 6Roll the chocolate pate sucree to 1/8" thick and fit into a 9" fluted tart pan with a removable bottom Dock the bottom of the tart with a fork.
- 7Refrigerate the shell for 30 minutes.
- 8Place chopped pecans on a baking sheet and toast until slightly darkened and fragrant, about 10 minutes, set aside.
- 9Line tart shell with parchment paper, pressing into edges and cover with dried beans or pastry weights.
- 10Place on a baking sheet, bake for 20 minutes.
- 11Remove paper and beans, continue baking until crust is golden, about 10 minutes.
- 12Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- 13Make the caramel by placing the sugar, salt and water in a small saucepan.
- 14Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- 15Wash down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent crystals from forming.
- 16Cook, gently swirling (do not stir) until the caramel is a rich amber color.
- 17Remove from heat and add 1/2 c of cream, butter and vanilla.
- 18Stir until smooth.
- 19Pour mixture into chocolate tart shell.
- 20Sprinkle with toasted pecans and place in the refrigerator while melting the chocolate.
- 21Place chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- 22Bring remaining cup of cream to a boil in a small saucepan.
- 23Pour over the chocolate, let sit for 5 minutes.
- 24Stir until completely smooth.
- 25Pour over caramel and pecans.
- 26Return tart to refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 27To serve, dust the op with cocoa powder and garnish with Caramel-Dipped Pecans For Caramel-Dipped Pecans-----------------.
- 28Gently insert an 8" wooden skewer into each pecan, set aside.
- 29Prepare an ice bath, and set aside.
- 30Combine the sugar, water and cream of tartar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat Wash down the sides with a wet pastry brush to stop crystals from forming.
- 31Cook, without stirring until the mixture begins to brown.
- 32Gently swirl the pan to color evenly.
- 33Remove from heat when the caramel is a rich amber color, place the pan in an ice bath to stop the caramel from cooking, about 5 seconds.
- 34Allow the caramel to sit, until slightly thickened for about 15 minutes.
- 35When caramel is ready, dip pecans, lifting up and swirling slightly to fully coat.
- 36Hold skewer over pan to allow the drip to lengthen and slightly harden, about 1 minute.
- 37Place the skewers in a cube of flower foam to stand them upright, allow to completely harden.
- 38Gently remove skewers before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Caramel Tart
Serving Size: 1 (2156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 7171.7
- Calories from Fat 3093
- Total Fat 343.7 g
- Saturated Fat 155.4 g
- Cholesterol 1362.6 mg
- Sodium 1929.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1025.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.5 g
- Sugars 873.6 g
- Protein 47.7 g