Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are a very moist, buttery cookie bar.
Make and share this Chess Squares recipe from Food.com.
- 1 box butter recipe cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- Combine cake mix, 1 egg, butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well.
- Spread in a greased and floured 9 X 13 pan.
- Batter will be very thick.
- Combine remaining 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cream cheese and powdered sugar and beat well with mixer.
- Spread over cake mix mixture.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate squares.
Made these today for Bunco and couldn't resist sampling to compare your recipe to mine. (The only difference is that you double the vanilla and also have vanilla in the crust). Yours wins! These rock! Anyone who likes chess pie or buttermilk pie will like these even more...more "solid", love the way the top puffs up. BTW, had to save some for my kids or they'd never speak to me again...GREAT, quick & easy recipe. Thanks so much!
Very easy to make. I surprised myself how quickly I put them together. Definitely bake the full hour. Took them to work and got rave reviews. Very sweet and rich so cut the squares small.
I needed a sweet treat for a small meeting so I made just half a recipe. I only used half a cake mix, etc. It got raves!! thanks for a recipe for a quick tasty dessert.