1/1 Photo of Cherry Ripe Mud Cake
2 hrs 35 mins
This is definitely a special occasion cake. It is heavy, rich and very chocolaty. Serve with whipped cream if desired! The decoration is impressive looking but is easy to do. Please don't get scared off by the number of ingredients or stages. It is really not has hard as it seems. I have not included cooling time in the time allowed. Australian measurements used. (Aust. Women's Weekly)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g butter, chopped
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 200 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped (eating chocolate)
- 440 g caster sugar
- 110 g self raising flour
- 150 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (85 g) cherry ripe candy bars, roughly chopped
- 1 (85 g) cherry ripe candy bars, extra (optional)
Chocolate Icing or Frosting
- 300 g dark chocolate melts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Grease and line a deep 22cm round cake tin with baking paper (base and sides).
- 2Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add coffee, coconut milk, chocolate and sugar. Stir over heat until sugar dissolves and chocolate melts. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 3When mixture has cooled, and using a whisk, stir in the sifted SR flour, plain flour and cocoa. Mix vanilla into the eggs then add mix to the main mixture. Stir in half of the Cherry Ripe (i.e. 1 bar).
- 4Pour mixture into prepared tin then top with remaining Cherry Ripe pieces.
- 5Bake about 1 3/4 hours or until skewer comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes then cool on wire rack. (Make sure to turn cake so top-side is up).
- 6Make icing/frosting and chocolate panels (see below).
- 7Once cake is cold spread the icing/frosting over the entire cake. Press the chocolate panels around the side of the cake, slightly overlapping each panel. If desired, chop an extra Cherry Ripe bar into pieces and use to decorate the top of the cake.
- 8Chocolate Icing/Frosting: In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth. Cool, then refrigerate until mixture is spreadable. Be patient - it will thicken.
- 9Chocolate Panels: Cut 2 strips of baking paper measuring 6cm x 50cm. Put chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave at 55% (MEDIUM, Level 6) for about 1 minute. Stir twice during cooking. When chocolate has melted stir in oil. (Or you could melt over a pan of simmering water - but add oil with solid chocolate.) Now spread the chocolate/oil mix over your 2 strips of paper. Tilt paper to allow excess to drip off. Allow chocolate to set then, using a sharp knife, cut chocolate into 4cm panels. Carefully peel away the paper.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cherry Ripe Mud Cake
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.5
- Calories from Fat 537
- Total Fat 59.6 g
- Saturated Fat 33.6 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 249.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 48.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cherry ripe candy bars